Thursday 19 December 2019

Day 5 | Activity 2: Swimming To Safety

18 year old Yusra Mardini rescued 20 people. This started when Yusra Mardini left Syria because a war started, so she became a refugee and left the country. On her journey to a safe country, the engine broke/failed. Yursa didn't want the passengers on the boat to drown, so her sisters and two other people swam for 3 and a half hours in the sea to save the 20 passengers. After the situation the International Olympic Committee recognised Yursa and  became part of the Refugee Olympics team. She has started a swimming career and is training for the 2020 Olympics In Tokyo.

This week for day 5, activity 2 of week 1 for SLJ, we wrote a summary about Yursa Mardini. We read a story talking about how Yursa Mardini rescued 20 passengers from a boat. Yursa has a swimming career and is part of the Refugee Olympics team. Above is my summary about what happened with Yursa Mardini

4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Sakina! This activity was so interesting for me, as I've never heard about Yursa before. Her story is absolutely amazing- hearing about what she has done has inspired me. I would love to do something like that for people, the only thing is, I'm not a professional swimmer. What would you have done if you were in the position of someone on the boat?- Stay on water, or help push the boat? Great Summary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sakina

    I really enjoyed reading you blog post about the story of Yursa don't you think her story is just incredible cause l think she did something that is really brave. Would you have done what she had done? Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Sakina! Olive here from the Summer Learning Journey! How are you doing? The weather isn't making much of an effort today. It was blue this morning and the skies have been slowly covered with clouds. Where's the sunshine gone?

    Thank you for your blog post! I really enjoyed reading your recount of Yusra Mardini. I think she's such an exceptional young woman. Your summary did such a great job of highlighting and explaining her courage. Ka pai on all your effort!

    Do you enjoy swimming? I do, I love breaststroke because when I used to Squad Swim, it was the stroke I was the fastest at!

    Remember the end of the Summer Learning Journey is next Friday 24th January! Keep up the blogging, commenting and enthusiasm!

    Ngā mihi,
    Olive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sakina,
    I found your blog post about Yusra Mardini really interesting. I think she is a hero for swimming for three and a half hours to help rescue those 20 people. It's great that she is enjoying a career in swimming. Hopefully she will be able to win a medal in the 2020 Olympics. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.