Thursday 9 January 2020

Week 4 | Day 4 | Activity 2: Try Your Own Tapa



Tapa: This is the tapa I have designed, above. The background colours represent the colours of the Afghanistan flag, which is my culture. The white lines represent the colour of the emblem of the Afghanistan flag. In the middle, I have a sign which represents my zodiac sign (Capricorn). Next to my zodiac sign is a map, which represent where I come from (Afganistan). Lastly on the outside is 4 stars which represents the stars of NZ. It represents where I was born which is New Zealand. 

This week for day 4, activity 2 of week 4 for SLJ, we were asked to design our own tapa, with a description about what each thing represents. Above is my tapa and my description. This task was based on Fatu Feu'u who is a Samoan artist living in New Zealand. He creates sculptures, prints, pottery, glass works and paintings.

6 comments:

  1. Nice tapa design Sakina - Tapa cloth (or simply tapa) is a barkcloth made in the islands of the Pacific Ocean, primarily in Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, but as far afield as Niue, Cook Islands, Futuna, Solomon Islands, Java, New Zealand, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea and Hawaii (where it is called kapa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sakina,

    I’m Melita from Christ The King school. I really like the colours you have used in you tapa cloth. I like how you have included your culture in the tapa. I also like your description and the way you have explained everything in detail of what you have put in your Tapa. You have designed it very well. You have done an amazing job. Hope you are enjoying your holidays. Keep up the phenomenal work.

    Please check out my bog https://ctkmelitaf.blogspot.com/

    Cheers,
    Melita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sakina!
    I like your blogpost and your DLO. I also did this activity. I like how you added your zodiac sign, not many people would think to do that! You described the details you have put into the tapa amazingly! Thank you!

    Well Done Sakina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morena Sakina! I love this Tapa design, and how you've made it connect to you personally. This is a beautiful way to share your culture, and who you are. Did you use the websites as inspiration of what to put in your design? It was really helpful for me, and gave me the idea of doing something to represent my family, and culture in a way. But I did use real tapa designs as something I could look at for inspiration too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tēnā koe i tēnei ahiahi Sakina,

    What a fantastic tapa. I really love the design you have created. The colours and the symbolism you chose look fantastic! I can tell all the symbols you have chosen mean a lot to you. Have you ever made a physical tapa before? Would you be interested in trying it out?

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sakina!
    I love the tapa design you created. I also like how it was inspired by your home flag. Which part was hard to draw? Which part was your favourite?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.